GFWC clubwomen are true volunteers in action - in 2006, our members raised nearly $32 million on behalf of more than 230,000 projects and volunteered more than 8.4 million hours in the communities where they live and work.
More than 100,000 members in affiliated clubs in every state and more than a dozen countries work in their own communities to support the arts, preserve natural resources, advance education, promote healthy lifestyles, encourage civic involvement and work toward world peace and understanding.
GFWC clubs work in six main Community Service Program Areas. In addition to these core areas, GFWC also fosters special projects and programs on a variety of issues.
Community Service Program Areas
- Arts -- Activities in this Community Service program area are designed to stimulate the artistic interests of GFWC members with participation in arts and sculpture preservation; disabilities and the arts; and various contests including Photography, Painting, Quilting, Short Story, Drama and Poetry.
- Conservation -- Activities in this Community Service program area are designed to increase awareness of important issues like beautification of local communities, conserving America's natural resources, preserving our national parks and observing days that commemorate conservation activities.
- Education/Literacy -- Acivities in this Community Service program area are designed to increase awareness of low literacy rates and the problems it causes; the need for mentoring; the plight of those with learning disabilities; and need for leadership skills and the value of supporting our libraries.
- Home Life -- Activities in this Community Service program area are designed to increase awareness of important issues about women's health, women's economic security and people with disabilities.
- International Outreach -- Activities in this Community Service program area are designed to increase awareness of the importance of the United Nations, international exchange ad development programs and international aid and relief oganizations.
- Public Issues -- Activities in this Community Service program area are designed to increase awareness of crime prevention, safety, assisting veterans and the importance of good citizenship.
Some Green Valley Special Projects
- SAFE House (Signature Project) -- Year round we are actively involved in supporting SAFE House with our time and donations.
- Community Walk Participation -- Heart Walk, Susan G Komen Breast Cancer Race, Relay for Life Cancer Society, March of Dimes
- Volunteer Time -- Duck Derby for Positively Kids, October Paint the Town, Safety Program with NV Highway Patrol, Kids to Kids cleaning books
- Donation Items -- Spead the Word Nevada (books for elementary aged children in public schools), box tops for at-risk schools, Campbell's Label for Education